Saturday, September 26, 2009

Questionnaire -- Chandra

Book Club:
1) What is your vision for book club?
A relaxing ladies' night out occasionally, good food, lively discussion, and lots of great reading.
2) What do you hope to get out of the club? What do you hope to contribute?
See above. :o) I hope to contribute some good book suggestions (has anyone read "Rora" since the last meeting?), as well as contribute varying opinions to the book discussions.
3) Suggest one helpful guideline for discussion.
Only one person speaking at once, please, and (may I suggest two guidelines??), please respect the opinions of others, even if they differ from your own.

Books:
4) What are a few of your favorite books?
I'm actually really bad at this...I might enjoy a book tremendously, but once it's back at the library, I won't remember the title or author unless someone or something specific jogs my memory...so I'm afraid I don't have much to contribute here. Of course, my current favorite is "Rora" (James Byron Huggins), but I also recently read a book from the church library that I really enjoyed. Of course I don't remember the title or author...let me go Google it for a moment...nope, can't find it. It was about a court case; a very right-wing family whose church didn't approve of medical intervention, has a young son die of appendicitis, and they are charged with neglect causing death. Very interesting read. I'll try remember to look it up at the library tomorrow...
5) How much do you typically read? (for example: # of books/week or month or year)
I used to read at least two books a week, but I simply don't have time anymore. Now I usually manage the Book Club book, plus sometimes one more per month.
6) What is your most commonly read genre? what is your least favorite genre? What genre have you never really read (and maybe always wanted to..) ?
I love historical fiction. I'm not sure that I have a least favorite...perhaps stuff with too much scientific jargon? I'd need a list of all the genres in order to be able to answer the last question. :o)
7) What kind of books would you like to read in book club? More of your favorites? Something new? Any specific titles?
I'm pretty flexible...I love trying out new authors and new genres. Never would have read Harry Potter if it wasn't for the club, and now I'm a complete fan!
8) What characteristics does a book need to make it a good discussion book?
A little bit of controversy goes a long way...

Cooks:
9) Do you like to cook/bake? What are you favorite things to make/eat?
Yes/yes. Pretty much anything. Have you seen me lately?
10) Do you like to experiment with new recipes, ingredients or cooking techniques? Would you like to cook/bake or eat new things in book club?
Yes and yes.
11) What kind of menus would you like to see in book club? Would you prefer low-effort, simple snacks or more inventive meals? Or some of both?
I like trying new things that I wouldn't necessarily try at home. Inventive is good.
12) Give an example of a book that you've read and a dish that you could serve with that book to enhance the experience.
"Rora" ... Blancmanger (chicken & rice casserole) with wassail (mulled cider)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!