Friday, April 30, 2010

Book Club Kits

Remember the book club kit I picked up for The Cellist of Sarajevo? It came with 12 copies of the book, some background info and a list of questions.

Well, Hamilton Library has quite a few titles to choose from: http://www.myhamilton.ca/sites/default/files/bookclubkits_title.pdf

I thought I'd throw it out there and see if everyone's interested in using the program. Let me know what you think. If you're not interested, no biggie!

The way the program works is that we would choose 3 potential titles we'd like to study for each month, fill out a request form with our selections and pick-up dates and meeting dates and then the library organizes it so we would get a kit before each of our meetings to be distributed. Then we'd have the books for 6 weeks, so they can be collected at our next meeting.

Pros:
  • No one has to buy the book
  • No one has trouble getting their hands on the book
Cons:
  • We have to come up with our own menus
  • If you miss a meeting, you have to figure out how to return your book and pick up the next one (but we could do this through people who live close to each other, church, Nuway, etc.)
Anyway, I think it's a pretty cool program that's available for us to use. If everyone is interested in this, I'd be willing to pick up and return the books (I still have a Hamilton library card and the Waterdown branch is only 10 minutes from my house).

Thoughts?

1 comment:

Tell us what you think!