Friday, June 11, 2010

In His Image by Dr. Paul Brand and Philip Yancey

Another church library book....


It took me 3 weeks to dig my way through this book... it's a heavy one, but ultimately, I did enjoy it too, as the authors certainly write from a wealth of very personal knowledge, and they incorporate stories from Brand's long and fascinating career.

What I liked about this book:
- it really opened my eyes to the complexity of the human body
- I saw connections between the creation of God (esp the circulatory system) and the word of
God (the imagery of Christ's blood poured out for us) that I never considered before
- it was very well written... and would be especially interesting to anyone who had a bit of a background in medicine to begin with (ie. not me!  I took one biology course beyond high school and failed miserably.)

Hesitations:
- this is definitely a book that you read for knowledge, and not for entertainment, and should be shelved with study guides rather than novels or "self-help" style books
- I cannot really tell you if/where this book may stray from reformed theology, as sections of it are so "deep" that I am woefully inadequate to evaluate that!

That said, I just borrowed a review from zondervan.com b/c it really says it all.

"This companion book to "Fearfully and Wonderfully Made", skillfully co-authored by award-winning writer Philip Yancey unfolds spiritual truths through a physician's knowledge of the blood, the head, the spirit, and pain.

THE VOICE OF GOD IS A HEARTBEAT AWAY


In Fearfully & Wonderfully Made, Philip Yancey and Dr. Paul Brand revealed how God’s voice is encoded in the very structure of our bodies. In His Image takes up where its predecessor left off, beckoning us once again inward and onward to fresh exploration and discovery.

Yancey and Brand show how accurately and intricately the human body portrays the Body of Christ. In five sections—Image, Blood, Head, Spirit, and Pain—the acclaimed surgeon and the award-winning writer unlock the remarkable, living lessons contained in our physical makeup. This Gold Medallion Award-winning book will open your eyes to the complex miracle of the human body, and the even more compelling spiritual truths that it reflects."   from zondervan.com

Not everyone's cup of tea, maybe, but I recommend this book.

1 comment:

Tell us what you think!