We are meeting Thursday, January 12th to avoid the holiday business. Meeting starts at 7:30 at Tessa's house with discussion to begin promptly at 8:00PM.
- Did you enjoy the book? Why or why not?
- At the beginning of the book, what kind of person is Ron Hall? How would you describe him (how does he describe himself)? Why does he agree to volunteer at the homeless shelter, and what is his initial reaction in doing so?
- Talk about the trajectory of Denver Moore's life. What events have landed him in the homeless shelter? Discuss the differences between his life and Ron Hall's. What is Denver's world view?
- Talk about Deborah Hall? What inspires her life? What does she think of Denver Moore? Do you think Ron's and Denver's descriptions of her give us the whole picture?
- Eventually, Denver and Ron, two men who have lived vastly different lives, become close friends. What do the two see in one another? What draws them together?
- What are the symbolic implications of the conversation about how white men fish, especially their catch-and-release method? Did this make you think of your friendships?
- In chapter 44, Denver said, "Our limitation is God's opportunity." Give examples of evidence of this statement (from the book or your own experience).
- What is the meaning of the book's title "Same Kind of Different as Me"? What does it refer to?
- How do both men change by the end of the book? What do they learn from or teach each other?
- Does this book inspire you? If so, in what way?
Menu: Elegant Evening at the Art GalleryLadies, are you ready for a night of sipping on some cow-lip tea and snacking on some Balony/pickle loaf..... or we could pull out our little black dress and heals, spray on some Chanel and come out for some fancy appetizers and desserts.
Stuffed mushrooms - Tanya
shrimp cocktails - Melissa
bruschetta bagettes - Danielle
2/3 people could bring some fancy little desserts - Kate & Tessa & Chandra?
Drinks - Tessa
Putting the Book Into Action:
Please bring a donation of toiletry items for StreetLight Ministries!
check them out here.... http://www.streetlightministries.ca/about.html