Discussion questions for Doppler
- Did you enjoy the book? Why or why not?
- Were you engaged immediately, or did it take you a while to "get into it"? How did you feel reading it—amused, sad, disturbed, confused, bored...?
- Why did Doppler leave his family like he did? What was his motivation? Were his actions justified?
- Describe the dynamics between Doppler and his father; his daughter; his wife.
- Do you admire or disapprove of Doppler’s decision to live in the forest?
- Did Doppler change by the end of the book? Did he learn something about himself and how the world works?
- What role does Bongo play in the book?
- “According to the moose calendar, he’s on the cusp of becoming a teenager, I would guess. This is a sensitive and defiant period, and we have many long discussions about it. Bongo leaves the tent in a temper several times, but happily he always comes back.” How strange is it that Doppler is engaging in regular conversation with a moose? Do you think he possibly suffered a mental injury when he fell from his bike?
- Did any passages strike you as insightful, even profound?
- “One problem with people is that as soon as they fill a space it’s them you see and not the space. Large, desolate landscapes stop being large, desolate landscapes once they have people in them. They define what the eye sees. And the human eye is almost always directed at other humans. In this way an illusion is created that humans are more important than those things on earth which are not human. It’s a sick illusion.” Discuss.
- Is the ending satisfying? If so, why? If not, why not...and how would you change it?
- Would you recommend this book to a friend?
The menu will be comprised of typical Norwegian dishes, including some foods specifically mentioned by or enjoyed by Doppler:
Milk, coffee, tea -- Chandra
Salad -- http://www.food.com/recipe/summer-sunshine-on-a-salad-plate-319425
Purresuppe -- http://www.food.com/recipe/purresuppe-leek-soup-425383 - Tessa
Sandwiches -- http://www.food.com/recipe/smoked-salmon-and-chopped-egg-sandwiches-424095
Smordampete Nypoteter (potatoes)-- http://www.food.com/recipe/butter-steamed-new-potatoes-smordampete-nypoteter-504455
Mashed Rutabaga -- http://www.food.com/recipe/mashed-rutabaga-norway-234799 - Stephanie
Moose/venison meatballs with lingonberry sauce -- Chandra
Norwegian Pork Chops -- http://www.food.com/recipe/norwegian-pork-chops-with-caraway-apples-235490
Lingonberry cake -- http://www.food.com/recipe/norwegian-lingonberry-cake-with-streusel-topping-427588 (you can find lingonberries at Ikea)