Meeting details: Thursday, August 4th at Tessa's house; meeting starts at 7:30 with discussion to begin at 8:00.
- Did you enjoy the book? Why or why not?
- What did you think of the way that the story was told? Did you like the short, poetic "chapters"?
- Why do you think the author choose to tell the story in this non-chronological order?
- Did you like the poetry included in the book? Did that add to/distract from the story, in your opinion?
- Did you like "the boys"? Who was your favorite? Why?
- Describe the author's relationship with the boys.
- How do Mumsy, the Boss, Maryann and John cope with the boys' increasingly ill health?
- How is the family dynamic affected by the boys' illness?
- Describe the role of the extended family, neighborhood, church and hospital community in supporting the family.
- What does the author want to show us about the lives of those living with chronic illness and/or pain?
- How does the author share his faith in this book?
- One reviewer said, "ultimately, Terpstra's book is a celebration of life". Do you agree?
- Would you recommend this book? To whom?
Menu: "Ultimate Comfort Foods"
Bring either a dish/dessert that you find comforting or one that you make as a meal/treat to bring comfort to others.
- fruit salad
- veggie tray - Chandra
- egg salad sandwiches - Karen
- hot "funeral" buns
- buttered raisin buns - Karen
- chicken noodle soup
- any kind of pie! - Lindsey
- chocolate trifle dessert - Tamara
- coconut cake
- vanilla milkshakes