Watership Down by Richard Adams
Thursday, September 1 at Erica's house; meeting begins at 7:30, with discussion to begin at 8
1. Did you like the book? Why or why not?
2. Who was your favourite character? Why?
3. Why rabbits? Can you imagine Watership Down with some other animal - wolves, cats, snakes, little children?
4. Rabbits are creatures of habit. How is it that such a relatively large group of rabbits are willing to leave the warren with Hazel and Fiver?
5. What do you think of the rabbit language, Lapine?
6. What do you think of the stories of El-ahrairah?Did you enjoy them? Do the stories of El-ahrairah have some connection to the main story?
7. What did you think about the epigraphs at the beginning of each chapter? What was the purpose of these epigraphs?
8. What is Fiver's role in the novel?
9.How do you feel about General Woundwort? Is he all villain or does he have any redeeming qualities?
10.Think about the role of females in this book. What do you think of the female rabbits? The male rabbits are of the impression that they are only good for breeding, but is that true in the book? And what about Lucy? Role model or stereotype for girls?
11. What role do humans play in the novel? How do they compare to other animals?
12. What does it mean to be 'natural' in the novel?
13. Would you recommend this book to others? Why or why not?
* I'm still exploring some of the questions and will continue to update the blog. Look for a completed list of questions closer to the book club date.
Menu: We're Going Vegetarian!
Bring your favourite salad or vegetarian dish - the only rule is NO MEAT!
I will take care of drinks :)