Monday, January 11, 2010

Questionaire: Tessa

"Food for Thought:"

1) When you think healthy food, what is the first food that comes to your mind?
broccoli... always broccoli. Mmmmmm... I love broccoli.

2) What is the strangest food you've ever eaten?
raw oysters and eel on on that list for sure... I have also eaten some pretty strange types of mushrooms

3) Name one healthy food that you could eat every day.
yogurt used to be on my list, before I became lactose intolerant. Do eggs count as healthy food? I could eat eggs everyday (and I nearly do)

4) Name one healthy food you know you should eat, but just can't stomach.
beets... I know, I know... "Eat Your Colors!" but beets make me want to hurl

5) On a scale of 1 to 10, how healthy do you think you eat? (1 being nothing but McD's and potato chips, 10 being nothing but health food)
I give myself a 6-7... I don't eat a lot of processed foods; I make a lot of things from scatch, but since my GI surgery, I have a hard time eating enough fruits and vegetables. We eat fish at least once a week, and I serve a meatless dinner once a week. I drink a lot of water (5-6 glasses a day), but still need a diet coke (or two) each day.

6) Organic - better for you?
maybe... but I think this word is used pretty loosely. And there is nothing healthy about "organic potato chips!"

7) Local - better for you?
I think so... I'm sure that the tomatoes picked from the garden in my backyard in August are more vitamin packed than those pale beauties shipped up from California in the middle of winter. But am I willing to live without bananas or avacodos just to brag that I eat local? No way. There's still good for me even if they come from from away, but when I have the option, I try to load up on what is seasonally available right here where "good things groooow in Ontario!"

8) Home grown/home made - better for you?
I think so. There is nothing wrong with using a mix or shortcut or eating a treat from a box now and then, but I nearly aways prefer the taste of something made from scratch, and I worry about eating things that I cannot pronounce.

9) Ever tried a fad diet? How did it work out for you? Would you do it again?
ya... sure... haven't we all? you see dramatic short term results, but you can't keep it up, and it doesn't last and you're right back where you started. I like to think that I'll never do it again, but I know I will. Ahh weight loss... my sisyphisian friend...

10) What is one thing that you would like to change this coming year to eat healthier?
I gotta get those fruits and veggies in my diet, but I can't just grab an apple and eat it. I discovered that i need to eat my veggies in a "Low-Residue" way... basically, more cooked and/or pureed and hidden in foods. I figure that can only be good for my kiddies, too. So, more fruit shakes or smoothies. More smooth vegetable soups. More pureed veggies hidden in meals.


Bonus points: name any book (or cookbook?) that inspires you to eat healthier.
I love this site "from Asparagus to Zucchini" for more veggie ideas.
http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/ (and she even includes WW point values many times, for those who like to keep track that way!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!