Book:Corvus, by Harold Johnson
Date: July 4, 7:30pm. Discussion to start 8pm
1. Did you like the book? Why/why not?
2. How do you feel about the author's use of the Raven and did it add to or detract from the book for you? How did the Raven come into play for George? for Katherine? for Lenore? for Richard?
3. Did the relationship between Richard and Lenore have any meaningful effect? Was there a reason for the author to have included it?
4. Think about the four different communities- the Ashram, Regis, the First Nations, La Ronge. What type of people live in each one? Do you think that people can be divided into those four categories? Which one would you live in, which would you like to live in?
5. What are some of the themes and issues in the book? Was the author convincing of his opinions?
6. Reviewers were divided on Johnson's view of women. Did you feel he tried to empower women in this novel, or was he only paying lip service and actually show a disregard?
7. Did Lenore's experience in the war shock or suprise you when it was finally described? How did it affect her?
8. What did you think of George's concerns about prosecuting, especially regarding incarceration time? Do you agree with him?
9. Do you think this book deserved to be on the Canada Reads list? Why or why not?
10. Would you recommend this book?
Menu: Sustainable eating
Items that might have been eaten by the First Nations community or on the Ashram. Bonus points for using produce you have grown yourself!
3 sisters stew
Deer or bison (Marion)
Berry dish (Tessa)
I will supply drinks, including tea in honour of Katherine, and Rose wine for Lenore